Thursday, November 12, 2009

Social Network Sites

I actually knew a lot about social network services before reading this article. Mostly based on personal experience. I'm a part of several social network sites: Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, and SocialVibe. All these sites are so convenient! With Facebook, I can keep in touch with out of state friends; and as a film media major and a photography minor, YouTube and Flickr is extremely useful to promote my videos and photography; and with SocialVibe, I can help the world!

Every few years or so, I'd go visit some relatives in China. And, at the time, I was shocked to see my cousins using the social network sites that I use! I wasn't aware that these sites were available across the globe. I was even introduced to some Chinese networking sites. Instead of AIM or MSN messenger, my cousins used QQ. Obviously, we exchanged screen names so we could keep in touch. When I tried to install QQ onto my laptop, turns out, it's all in Chinese. And, unfortunately, I can't read. So, my cousins installed MSN Messenger. But, of course, things just couldn't work out. Because of the time differences, everytime I was online, my cousins would be sleeping and vice versa. Now we just send each other emails and keep in touch through Facebook.

And obviously, these networks are good for businesses. They're all free, and because so many people use these networks, it's easy for businesses to promote themselves.

I dread the day my parents get a Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment